Re: Does -r reject or discard

From: Todd Lyons
Subject: Re: Does -r reject or discard
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:43:07 -0700

Steven Stern wanted us to know:

>We're using spamass-milter with "-r 10".  Does this reject the message
>(causing Sendmail to send a reject) or just discard it? If it's a
>reject, how can I change it to a discard?

It rejects it at the SMTP level before sendmail ever accepts it, so the
sending MTA is responsible for generating the bounce message, not your
machine.

>I'm asking because I'm seeing stuff in our outgoing mail queue that
>looks like reject messages.

That means that something that your system tried to send something and
some other MTA rejected the message.

Honestly, the way that I stay on top of spam filtering is I look at
mails in the postmaster account and see what postini is rejecting and
filter on those URL's.  Works for me <tm>.
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin