Re: Does -r reject or discard

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Does -r reject or discard
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:05:38 -0500

In the last episode (Apr 15), Steven Stern said:
> We're using spamass-milter with "-r 10".  Does this reject the
> message (causing Sendmail to send a reject) or just discard it? If
> it's a reject, how can I change it to a discard?
>
> I'm asking because I'm seeing stuff in our outgoing mail queue that
> looks like reject messages.

It does a reject, but it shouldn't generate any messages.  It simply
rejects the submission.  If you queue messages internally before
delivering them to the machine running spamass-milter, then you may end
up generating bounce messages.  It's best to hook spamass-milter into
your edge mail servers.  Note that you don't need to run spamass-milter
or spamd itself on them; both the milter and spamc protocols can be
told to connect to a remote server.

Joe Maimon has written a patch that allows -b and -B to take a score
like -r does, but I haven't merged it yet:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=3513

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden