Re: spamass-milter -- connection refused error (random lockup)

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: spamass-milter -- connection refused error (random lockup)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:24:01 -0500

In the last episode (May 23), Chan, Wilson said:
> >>If spamass-milter is crashing, try and get a core dump and a stack
> >>trace.
>
> Not sure how to do this. Can you explain it? I'll be more then happy
> to get whatever debugs/logs you need. Thanks!

Easiest way to get a stack trace is to determine the current
commandline being sent to spamassassin (start it up, run "ps axww |
grep spamass-milter", then shut it down), remove "-f" from the list of
arguments, then run "gdb --args spamass-milter blah blah args", and
enter "run" at the gdb prompt.  When it crashes, enter "thread apply
all bt" to get a stack trace of all threads.

> > INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock,
> > F=,T=C:20m;S:20m;R:20m;E:20m')dnl
>
> >>Extending the timeout shouldn't make a difference.  When you say
> >>lockup, do you mean mail stops being delivered, or what?
>
> The milter stops processing mail to SA, but because the
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER has the "F=" flag, sendmail still relays the mail
> to my internal mail server. The maillog shows that the Milter went
> into an error state and connection is refused by
> /var/run/spamass.sock. Only way to get it working again is to shut
> sa-milter and restart it. This box processes about 10,000+ emails a
> day and im wondering if its because the milter cant handle the high
> load. Any ideas? Thanks!

So no lockup then :)  10K emails is a pretty light load, I think.  I do
5K/day and the box is idle most of the time.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden