Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:09:47 +0200

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> For me, the more I think about it, the more horrible it gets.  But
> Tramp isn't my package so I'll shutup now. :-)

You're not the only one who's against the filename unification in
XEmacs: Michael objects, too.

So I will proceed as follows: it will be customizable whether Tramp
uses its own filename space or unifies the Ange-FTP/Tramp filename
handling.  On XEmacs, the default will be to have separate
namespaces, the Emacs default will be to have a unified namespace.

And then I need to build in some protection in XEmacs because it
isn't possible to unify the namespaces in XEmacs (because EFS hooks
into Emacs in more places than just file-name-handler-alist and Tramp
does not know how to frob the other places).

Opinions?

Is this okay with you, Steve and Michael?

kai