Re: Feature Request: make sane symlinks on remote host.

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Feature Request: make sane symlinks on remote host.
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:17:16 +1000

|--==> "KG" == Kai Gro <address@hidden> writes:

  KG> Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:
  >>What I'd also like to do (also from eshell) is:
  >>
  >>(make-symbolic-link "file" "symlink")
  >>
  >>But it tells me that "file" is not a Tramp filename.  If I do:
  >>
  >>(make-symbolic-link "/[sm/address@hidden" "/[sm/address@hidden")
  >>
  >>...it creates a symlink with a literal filename of
  >>"/[sm/address@hidden" that points to a non-existent file with the
  >>literal name of "/[sm/address@hidden".
  >>
  >>What I'd like the 'make-symbolic-link' to do is the same as if I had
  >>run 'ln -s file symlink' on the remote host.

  KG> Whee.  Just a couple of days ago, I was working on
  KG> make-symbolic-link.  Are you using the version from Tramp CVS?

I haven't updated in ages, haven't had the time.  Maybe I should.

  KG> Another question is: should both names be interpreted as Tramp names
  KG> or should one name be just a string?  I think that the first argument
  KG> (FILENAME, the target of the symlink) should be considered as a
  KG> string, because `ln -s' also does it this way.  But Richard agrees
  KG> with your interpretation.

I don't think either name should be interpreted as a Tramp name.  What
I'm trying to achieve is to create a symlink on a remote host where
both the target and the symlink are local to the remote host.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |