Version numbers

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Version numbers
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:11:02 +0200

I've started to use Tramp version numbers which are not equal to
$Id$.  This means that I have to maintain them manually.  Is there
something which allows me to set the version number in one spot and
then reuse it in all places where I need it?

I think I need the version number in tramp.el (to set the variable
tramp-version), in Makefile (to set the name of the tarball) and in
tramp.texi and tramp_ja.texi (to say which version of Tramp is
documented by the manual).

Surely I'm not the first person who needs this.

I've been thinking about using CVS tags and $Name$, but this would
fail for the copies included in the Emacs and XEmacs CVS.

kai