RE: emacs nt user question -- latest version

From: Thomas Haselberger
Subject: RE: emacs nt user question -- latest version
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:37:31 +0200

No Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found

> Can you start "emacs -q -no-site-file", then do the load-path dance,
> then use M-x locate-library RET to find out where tramp is, then load
> it, then see if file-name-handler-alist has the right value?

ah, that one looks different:
Library is file d:/home/thaselberger/emacs/cvs/tramp/lisp/tramp.elc OK
file-name-handler-alist's value is
(("\\`/[^/:]+:" . tramp-file-name-handler)
 ("\\`/:" . file-name-non-special))

> Oh, one other idea: if you use an Emacs from CVS with the old version
> of Tramp, then "make" on that Emacs has created loaddefs.el or
> similar, which already sets file-name-handler-alist and
> tramp-file-name-regexp to the wrong values.  And the defvar in
> tramp.el doesn't overwrite the values if they have been set already.

I use the standard emacs distro for winnt, in loaddefs.el I found these lines:
(or (assoc "^/[^/:]*[^/:.]:" file-name-handler-alist) (setq
file-name-handler-alist (cons (quote ("^/[^/:]*[^/:.]:" .
ange-ftp-hook-function)) file-name-handler-alist)))

(or (assoc "^/[^/:]*\\'" file-name-handler-alist) (setq file-name-handler-alist
(cons (quote ("^/[^/:]*\\'" . ange-ftp-completion-hook-function))
file-name-handler-alist)))

I tried uncommenting these lines, that didn't change anything.

> In this case, you need to run "cvs update" in the Emacs directory and
> build a new Emacs.  The Emacs should contain an updated version of
> Tramp which uses the new format.

Is there a way to get rid of this behaviour without building emacs myself - I'm
not used doing that on a win platform.

thanks for your advice,
        tom