Re: emacs nt user question -- latest version

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: emacs nt user question -- latest version
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:53:38 +0200

"Thomas Haselberger" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Can you start "emacs -q -no-site-file", then do the load-path dance,
>> then use M-x locate-library RET to find out where tramp is, then load
>> it, then see if file-name-handler-alist has the right value?
>
> ah, that one looks different:
> Library is file d:/home/thaselberger/emacs/cvs/tramp/lisp/tramp.elc OK
> file-name-handler-alist's value is
> (("\\`/[^/:]+:" . tramp-file-name-handler)
>  ("\\`/:" . file-name-non-special))

Good.  So in principle, Tramp works.  Now what remains is the small
task (errr...) or figuring out which part of your customization makes
the file-name-handler-alist go bad.  For whatever reason, your normal
Emacs setup leads to a wrong file-name-handler-alist setting.  As I
can't see your normal Emacs setup, I can't say why or how that
happens.

One idea is to use lines like the following to show
file-name-handler-alist in various places of your init, so you can
see where it goes wrong.

    (message "Got here with %s" file-name-handler-alist)
    (sit-for 3)

Adjust the number of seconds to your taste.

kai