Re: copy-file problems

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: copy-file problems
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 14:13:26 +0200

Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> writes:

> I found some problems on copying files between a local host and
> a remote host when the auto-compression-mode is turned on.
>
> 1. When copying local:file.gz to remote:file.gz, the later is
> compressed by gzip once again.

This shouldn't happen, I think.

> 2. When copying local:file.gz to remote:file.bz2, the later is
> not uncompressed by gzip but compressed by bzip2.

This shouldn't happen, either.  Hm.

It seems that both of these cases happen because write-region invokes
jka-compr if the target filename matches it.  So I kludged it by
let-binding jka-compr-inhibit.  We'll see.

> 3. When copying local:file.gz to remote:file, the later is not
> uncompressed.

This seems normal: M-x copy-file RET /tmp/kai1.gz RET /tmp/kai2 RET
produces two files /tmp/kai1.gz and /tmp/kai2 that are exactly the
same.

I think this is the expected behavior.  What do you think?

I apologize for taking so long to respond.
--
This line is not blank.