problem with tramp-time-diff

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: problem with tramp-time-diff
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:16:31 -0500 (CDT)

Hi.  I've been following tramp's development with interest the last 3 years.
But, for whatever reason, I've never been able to get it to work.  However,
today I decided to do it.  I'm using xemacs 21.4.12.  And, I kept getting error
messages about subtract-time which is not defined.  The code in tramp-time-diff
seemed to take that into account.  So, I decided to make my own subtract-time
function with the code at the end of tramp-time-diff.  But, that didn't work
either.  Then, I realized that the result should be a list, so to make it work
put this in my init.el

(defun subtract-time (t1 t2)
  "Return the difference between the two times, in seconds.
T1 and T2 are time values (as returned by `current-time' for example).

NOTE: This function will fail if the time difference is too large to
fit in an integer."
         (list (let ((time  (let ((borrow (< (cadr t1) (cadr t2))))
                 (list (- (car t1) (car t2) (if borrow 1 0))
                       (- (+ (if borrow 65536 0) (cadr t1)) (cadr t2))))))
           (+ (* (car time) 65536.0)
              (cadr time)
              (/ (or (nth 2 time) 0) 1000000.0)))))

And, now everything works.  By the way, I was getting the same errors with both
2.0.22 and 2.0.35.  Maybe it is actually a problem with 21.4.12, but it is
supposed to be stable and is widely used so maybe a work-around or a note in
README is warranted.  Thanks.

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
address@hidden              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do