Re: tramp (2.1.11-pre); upgrade to gutsy and cannot open files on one se

From: Martin Flack
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.11-pre); upgrade to gutsy and cannot open files on one server
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:23:02 -0400

Hi Michael,

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 16:15 +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
> I understand your patch, but I don't understand why it is needed. The
> introduction of `tramp-local-host-p' was driven by optimization,
> operations shall run faster when being on the localhost. It is not clear
> to me what's the difference when sshd runs on port 22 (the default) or
> 3001: In both cases, the files are located on the same place, with same
> permissions. The optimizations for localhost shall either succeed or
> fail in both cases.

No, there's a difference, let me explain again better than I did
before: /ssh:localhost#22 would give me ssh into the machine I am
sitting at; whereas /ssh:localhost#3001 is giving me ssh into a server
somewhere else. This is my way of connecting into machines that have
been locked down to accept connections from only my office fixed IP
address when I'm at home or traveling; rather than bother my clients
with changing their rules, I just manage my own office's trusted IP's
and bounce through. For example - before opening emacs, from home, I
open an ssh connection at a command prompt to my office and tunnel a
port, locally 3001, to 22 on a web server to which my office server can
connect. Because of access restrictions I cannot simply connect directly
to the web server from home. So in this case, the port being opened
makes a big difference because you end up talking to a different
computer.

One possibility which comes to mind to double-check if a local copy is
going to work is not just the use of "localhost" but also
what /bin/hostname says through that connection as compared to
launching /bin/hostname from emacs, because on the same machine they
should be the same. After connecting to localhost on port 22 you'd get,
for example, "solvent" from /bin/hostname, but on ssh to port 3001,
you'd get "dev-connotea-vm1" or something else.

> The only difference when using another but the default port is the case,
> when you have opened TWO connections to the same host in parallel, as
> same user, but on different ports. This would confuse Tramp, because the
> port number is not used for identifying the connection.

No I'm not doing that.  ;-)

> However, there were some other problems I've just fixed. Could you,
> please, sync again with Tramp CVS and see whether you still have the
> problem?  Btw, I've tested your configuration locally, and it works for
> me fine (opening "/ssh:address@hidden:", misusing the account of
> my wife :-).

Not sure if what I've said above makes it moot, but I'll go ahead and
send that from within emacs with tramp-bug.

Thanks very much for looking into this,
Martin