Re: defadvice file-expand-wildcards ad-do-it value

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: defadvice file-expand-wildcards ad-do-it value
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:55:30 +0100

> Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Doing a bit of a grep I noticed the defadvice tramp puts on
>> file-expand-wildcards may use the value from ad-do-it.
>>
>> I believe that value can't be relied on, that it should look at
>> ad-return-value since ad-do-it is only whatever the next innermost
>> advice evaluates to, which can be anything.
>
> Thanks, I'll check it.
>
>> Perhaps along the lines below, except untested as I'm not smart enough
>> to reach the affected code.
>
> Hmm, this is very old code. I'll check first, whether this is still
> needed.

I've checked it in detail. The advice is active for XEmacs only; this
might explain why you didn't hit the test.

Since Tramp for XEmacs is not actively tested these days, I would like
to keep the code as it is. Maybe an XEmacs affine user could take over,
testing Kevin's patch? Then we could apply it.