Re: defadvice file-expand-wildcards ad-do-it value

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: defadvice file-expand-wildcards ad-do-it value
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:00:57 +0100

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> The advice is active for XEmacs only;
>
> Are you sure?  I see "sep" is the xemacs style, and the docstring says
> not yet for gnu emacs.

In theory you are right, everybody can choose the preferred Tramp
syntax. In practice, I believe nobody changes the default settings for
the syntax.

> But xemacs (21.4 at least) doesn't have a
> file-expand-wildcards for the defadvice to affect ...

I didn't know that, the defadvice code was added before I've entered the
Tramp team. Likely it was needed for GNU Emacs before switching to the
ange-ftp like syntax ...

This gives us the opportunity to remove the defadvice at all :-)

Consequently, we should block the choice for the Tramp syntax, and make
it hardcoded, depending on the Emacs flavor.

Any opinions?