Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:01:12 +0200

Rodrigo Amestica <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Rodrigo,

> for some time now the connection to my remote development environment
> has degraded to a very slow status. I use ssh. I'm not fully sure, but
> it seems to me that the slowness started happening after moving from
> emacs 24.2 to 24.3 and that happened back in April of this year.
>
> Is it there anything else I could do to troubleshoot my so slow connection?

Before opening a new connection, you should set tramp-verbose to 6. If
you are curious you could use even a larger value up to 10, but the
additional traces are almost interesting for the maintainers only.

There will be a Tramp debug buffer. Cycle through this buffer, searching
for "(6)". Then you will see all commands Tramp has sent (except
passwords), and all responses from the remote host, including a
timestamp. Here you will see where Tramp spends its time.

You might compare this also with the same scenario in Emacs 24.2.

There is also a difference, whether Tramp connects a remote host for the
very first time, or whether it did in the past already. Tramp caches
information about remote hosts, and reuses them in order to minimize
remote commands. See the file "~/.emacs.d/tramp" for the cached
information. If you remove this file prior starting Emacs, Tramp has no
historical information.

For a proper interpretation of the command sequence in the traces, you
could come back here. And yes, there is still room for optimization; I'm
open for proposals.