Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?

From: Rodrigo Amestica
Subject: Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 19:27:15 -0400

Hello Michael,

I have enabled verbose 6 and repeated the exercise. This time it took something
like 25 seconds to complete the connection. I repeated once more (started emacs
again) just to be sure that .emacs.d/tramp was present.

The time it takes to print my remote bash login salutation is comparable to what
it takes me to ssh from a normal xterm (~4 seconds). That makes sense.

Then there is this line:

19:13:00.899977 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"$PATH\" 2>/dev/null; echo
tramp_exit_status $?

followed by a printout of my local PATH. After that it goes doing a 'test -d' on
every entry of that PATH (22 entries in my case) plus other 12 path directories
that are not really in my local PATH. The total time expenditure of that
exercise was ~8 seconds.

Why is it checking on the remote host my local PATH? Can I disable that?

8 seconds is just a fraction of the total 25 seconds, but it seems to be a good
starting point.

Thanks,
 Rodrigo