Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); Need to source ~/.profile to make remote comman

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); Need to source ~/.profile to make remote commands work
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 10:17:35 +0200

SENESI Stéphane <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi Dave and Stéphane,

> My working environment depends on ~/.profile on every machine where I
> have an account.  When I do a shell command over TRAMP, I have to
> manually source it as part of the command, and I can't find a
> convenient way around that.  What am I missing?

In general, Tramp does not evaluate ~/.profile. This is because
unfortune settings there, for example in $PATH or $PS1, could ruin
Tramp's environment.

I understand that the situation differs for remote processes. I will
check how to improve this. For asynchronous processes, this might be
easy. However, synchronous processes run in the same shell like all
other Tramp commands, so evaluating ~/.profile could still ruin Tramp's
environment. Maybe they must run in a subshell.

A possibility to source ~/.profile would be to set $ENV in
`tramp-remote-process-environment'. But this doesn't work yet, Tramp
nukes $ENV to the empty string these days.