Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); Need to source ~/.profile to make remote comman

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); Need to source ~/.profile to make remote commands work
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 21:18:00 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dave,

> Apologies if I caused you to complicate tramp needlessly; I didn't
> realize that option existed.  Silly question, perhaps: when Tramp
> detects tramp-own-remote-path, why not just issue all remote commands
> through a login shell?

Two problems. First, Tramp dislikes to eval the .profile in general,
because there could be settings which hinder Tramp to work properly. So
it does it only when instructed to do so, and it is the responsibility
of the user to ensure still proper work.

Second, there does not exist a POSIX conform way to start a login
shell. Tramp does it by using the -l argument, but not all shells
support it.