Re: SSH troubles

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: SSH troubles
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 20:34:57 +0200

Frederick Bartlett <frederick.bartlett@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Upon updating to Fedora 36, I discovered that I could not ssh into a site I
> use for work. After some investigation, I discovered that I had to roll
> back ssh to an earlier version. (Of course, I should convince the owner of
> the server to update _his_ ssh, but that’s not going to happen.)

FWIW, ssh usually provides options to connect, even using
deprecated/unsafe methods.

For some very old local servers, I recently needed to add
the 2 following options in my .ssh/config to connect:

   Host very-old-gnu-linux-host
       HostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-dss
       PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-rsa

in my ssh config (I prefer to use an ssh config file so that the
config is available for any ssh connection to that old server,
including TRAMP), but you shoud be able to pass the same option on the
command line configuring TRAMP if you so prefer.

Bruno