uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] uisp and new STK500 firmware?

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] uisp and new STK500 firmware?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:55:49 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Jeff Barlow wrote:

:) Marek Michalkiewicz <address@hidden>  wrote:
:)
:) >Of course, after you reverse-engineer
:) >it, they will be so nice to document it too, then make a new release
:) >of AVR Studio with a new incompatible top-secret protocol ;)
:)
:) Or....  They could come after you with the dreaded DMCA. You might want
:) to think about that before going down that road. It seems as if
:) reverse-engineering may have become a criminal act in the USA.

I have been thinking about that. And it does scare me a bit. I'm probably
not going to delve into the .ebn files any ways. I'm much more interested
in just figuring what the 8535 does so I can write replacement firmware
which frees us from having to use Atmel's ever changing firmware/protocol.

Getting the SPI programming should be easy, but I need to research more on
how to set Vtarget, Vref, oscilator, etc and to do HV parallel
programming. Maybe I can do it without looking at Atmel's firmware.
<shrug>.

Besides, as bonus, if we have open firmware, it will be easier and faster
to add support for new devices without waiting for atmel to update us into
oblivion.

:)
:) I'm not trying to discourage you, but you might want to be a little more
:) discrete.

True, but its hard when you like to share. ;-)

Ted