ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] An X version of WW. When? (and Tetris)

From: petar marinov
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] An X version of WW. When? (and Tetris)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:34:02 -0800

Tzvetan Mikov wrote:
So, when is an X version scheduled for ? I am forced to use NEDIT at work
and have trouble explaining to my coworkers that DEL should *absolutely* not
behave like BACKSPACE.

Last evening I finished the search & replace function. I will make a release today.

X version is on the list of the imminent extentions on which I'm planning to work. I will maybe move this as a first grade priority.

Another feature that might be needed for complete acceptance of WW in the
Unix community here is support of CTAGS (I am not sure what that is - some
form of browse information I guess).

look here for more information:
http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

ctags is a tool that generates a reference table of all the simbols defined in source files.

The format is
<symbol>\t<file> (+ some more data)

As you can see this misses scope definition for the symbols. This file will not reflect changes in the sources as they are being edited. Maybe this can be added in the editor, to maintain correct ctags file.

I've just generated a tags file in cygwin (go to the editor's root directory and type "ctags -R", the look at the file "tags"). I believe, the information can be accomodated in the editor. As a matter of fact I think this is a much better way to make the "Search|Function" command. I like the idea of tags file. This is an unix standard, it is used by "vi" and a host of other editors, which means this is supported by the community. I can extend this by making the editor maintain always fresh "tags" file. As you edit and create new functions or new symbols, the file can be regenerated. What to you think?

P.S. I'd like to change the colors of the Win32 Console version. Is that
possible ?

You should go and edit the palette.c file. Add a new palette or modify the current. The editor uses a pointer to get the current palette. The plan is to have a list of the available palettes and from the options menu to select which one to be active.

P.P.S. I am thinking of doing a port to Win32 GUI again. Peter, what do you
think?

I don't mind it. I should state that, I see no use of it. It adds nothing as user experience. I will be glad to see more help in adding something as core functionality (see below).

P.P.P.S. Another little feature I woild like to see added is Tetris - the
only game for real programmers. It would be so refreshing after hours of
heavy editing to be able play.

This is an important feature. You can program it yourself, look at the keyboard and the screen API. You can make it as a standalone application first and I will then add it to the editor. If you plan to start this I have a list of suggestions of rules on how to calculate the score.

By the way I've just noticed that if I reply with "Replay" the mail goes only to you and not to the mailing list. I will add this manually. Maybe there is an option in the administration page that directs how the mailling engine prepares the mail distribution. I will look at it later. At the moment use "Reply All".

-petar