ww-tedit-dev

Re: [ww-tedit-dev] An X version of WW. When? (and Tetris)

From: ww-tedit-dev-admin
Subject: Re: [ww-tedit-dev] An X version of WW. When? (and Tetris)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:51:22 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "petar marinov" <address@hidden>
To: "Tzvetan Mikov" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 6:34 PM

> X version is on the list of the imminent extentions on which I'm
> planning to work. I will maybe move this as a first grade priority.

You should.

> As you can see this misses scope definition for the symbols. This file
> will not reflect changes in the sources as they are being edited. Maybe
> this can be added in the editor, to maintain correct ctags file.
>
> I've just generated a tags file in cygwin (go to the editor's root
> directory and type "ctags -R", the look at the file "tags"). I believe,
> the information can be accomodated in the editor. As a matter of fact I
> think this is a much better way to make the "Search|Function" command. I
> like the idea of tags file. This is an unix standard, it is used by "vi"
> and a host of other editors, which means this is supported by the
> community. I can extend this by making the editor maintain always fresh
> "tags" file. As you edit and create new functions or new symbols, the
> file can be regenerated. What to you think?

Adding tags support would be very nice. However I don't think that
dynamically maintaining them is necessary, at least initially. Right now I
use compiler generated browse info and I have no trouble with it being
updated only at compile time. If you support tags, I will add "ctags" to my
make files and be happy. Actually, the more I think about this, the more I
like the idea. I think it should be a priority, right after X support!

> > P.S. I'd like to change the colors of the Win32 Console version. Is that
> > possible ?
>
> You should go and edit the palette.c file. Add a new palette or modify
> the current. The editor uses a pointer to get the current palette. The
> plan is to have a list of the available palettes and from the options
> menu to select which one to be active.

There should be a way to specify the palette from the INI file.

> > P.P.S. I am thinking of doing a port to Win32 GUI again. Peter, what do
you
> > think?
>
> I don't mind it. I should state that, I see no use of it. It adds
> nothing as user experience. I will be glad to see more help in adding
> something as core functionality (see below).

The reason I am thinking about it is better fonts and colors. Also mouse
support would be nice, as would native menus and dialog boxes. Using
separate fonts for syntax highlighting is also desirable.

I think that X and Win32 GUI support should go hand in hand.

> > P.P.P.S. Another little feature I woild like to see added is Tetris -
the
> > only game for real programmers. It would be so refreshing after hours of
> > heavy editing to be able play.
>
> This is an important feature. You can program it yourself, look at the
> keyboard and the screen API. You can make it as a standalone application
> first and I will then add it to the editor. If you plan to start this I
> have a list of suggestions of rules on how to calculate the score.

I will start ASAP - right after I finish the GUI port of the editor, the
compiler, the driver eulation library and a few other projects on my todo
list ...

> By the way I've just noticed that if I reply with "Replay" the mail goes
> only to you and not to the mailing list. I will add this manually. Maybe
> there is an option in the administration page that directs how the
> mailling engine prepares the mail distribution. I will look at it later.
> At the moment use "Reply All".

This sucks. Why didn't you use yahoo groups anyway?

-ceco