ww-tedit-dev

[ww-tedit-dev] idea about extending the brackets highlighting

From: petar marinov
Subject: [ww-tedit-dev] idea about extending the brackets highlighting
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:33:50 -0800

People follow two schools regarding where '{' should reside.

In the case of having '{' on a *new* line after 'if/for/while/etc.', highlighting the pair when positioned on the closing counterpart allowes for a very low latency identification of what opens this block ('if' is stright on top of '{', for example). When '{' is on the *same* line of the statement that opens the block, we have inherently increased latency to identify it -- having your eyes move from the end of the line toward the beginning takes slightly longer than just moving a line above '{'.

Pondering on this problem I think it is a good idea when a '{}' pair is highlighted to put in bold the 'if/for/while' statement (the reserved word itself) to which the block belongs.

-petar