ww-tedit-dev

[ww-tedit-dev] PeekMessage() proved a success for handliong the keyboard

From: petar marinov
Subject: [ww-tedit-dev] PeekMessage() proved a success for handliong the keyboard in GUI
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:12:01 -0800

Let me repeat the sequence of messages:
WM_KEYDOWN -> WM_CHAR -> WM_KEYUP (produces ascii and ctrl characters)
WM_SYSKEYDOWN -> WM_SYSCHAR -> WM_SYSKEYUP (produces all Alt combinations)
WM_KEYDOWN -> WM_KEYUP (F1-F10, arrows, Home, End, etc.)

Keyboard is very approachable if immediately after WM_KEYDOWN I did PeekMessage() to check for WM_CHAR. This way I distinguish between sequece 1 and sequence 3. In a similar fashion WM_SYSKEYDOWN is handled (actually only for a safe pumping of the WM_SYSCHAR out of the message queue). Autorepeat works fine .... ctrl+i works fine, numlock changes the state of the num pad keys just as expected.

I have to cleanup all the expermiental code I wrote. It took a few evenings of work but now I reached a state epiphaniny -- keyboard in Win32 GUI is going to be fine in WW.

-petar