wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] wxRuby Naming

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] wxRuby Naming
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:01:36 -0700

Kevin Smith wrote:

> I haven't had a chance to try to compile Park's wxRuby yet, so if any of
> this is incorrect, please let me know. My concerns in this message are
> listed in order of decreasing importance, starting with the one that I
> feel strongest about.
>
> It looks like the shared library (.so/.dll) is named simply 'wx'. Under
> Linux, I don't think that's appropriate because people wouldn't know
> that it is related to Ruby. It really should be wxruby.so, I think.
>
> We should also probably use different names for the Windows and Linux
> shared library files, because I assumed the wx.so in the zip file would
> be a Linux file. I am not very familiar with cygwin, so I'm less sure
> about this suggestion.

I agree with you that the lib should at least be wxruby.so. But the ruby
convention is to use the same name for each platform (but install them in
platform-specific named directories).

Side-note: the mainstream windows version of Ruby (as built and distibuted
by Andy Hunt) does not use cygwin any more.

> I notice that classes and constants within Wx include Wx in their name,
> like WxFontDialog and WxALIGN_CENTER. If you don't use 'include Wx' in
> your Ruby code, this will look like: Wx::WxFontDialog and
> Wx::WxALIGN_CENTER. I think it would be better to leave out the second
> Wx, and just name them Wx::FontDialog and Wx::ALIGN_CENTER. I guess this
> was done to be consistent with wxWindows itself, but I also notice that
> wxWindows is inconsistent with things like EVT_CLOSE.
>
> I think those are all my naming concerns. It would be best to decide one
> way or another before a first "official" release, even of a 0.1 version.

I don't have a string preference either way on this one.

Curt