wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] Group vote on naming questions

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] Group vote on naming questions
Date: 22 Jun 2003 10:04:54 -0700

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 09:45, Kevin Smith wrote:
> I'm not entirely happy with it, but I guess I now think that the class
> names should remain WxWindow, and constants should become
> WX_SUNKEN_BORDER. Sigh.
>
> I suppose that also means that for consistency, the module-level
> functions should be named wx_message_box instead of just message_box.
> Dang. I'll have to undo some of what I did last night.

It just got weirder. wxWindows also has null/default objects like:
wxNullColour, wxNullFont, wxDefaultPosition. And it has enumerated types
like wxLeft and wxPercentOf.

Should those be Wx::wxNullColour, Wx::WX_NULL_COLOUR, or
Wx::wx_null_colour? Since they are effectively constants, I think they
should be WX_NULL_COLOUR and WX_LEFT for consistency. Thoughts?

Coding is easy. Figuring out naming conventions is hard! I really wish
Ruby didn't use case differentiation as part of the language itself, so
we could just match wxWindows conventions exactly. Sigh.

Kevin