access-activists

[Access-activists] Somewhat Embarrassing

From: Christian Hofstader
Subject: [Access-activists] Somewhat Embarrassing
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:20:43 -0400

Hi,

GNU Emacs is probably the most well known program from the Free Software Foundation. For a blind user, it works pretty well with Speakup in a text console but the one that runs off of the GNOME desktop is entirely inaccessible. I can't figure out why, I think it uses gtk and, therefore, should get some accessibility for free but, alas, orca cannot see or speak data in this window.

If we handout CDs at NFB, someone might notice that our flagship program is only accessible in a text console and they may choose to "condemn and deplore" us for a silly reason. NFB sort of sucks in this way but they are the big membership organization and we need to kiss the proper ring and bow down to the vatican of blink.

So, what do we do?

--
Happy Hacking,
cdh