access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: Somewhat Embarrassing

From: Christian Hofstader
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: Somewhat Embarrassing
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:17:32 -0400

Indeed, this is strange. A couple of days ago, rms told me that emacs under X doesn't use gtk or any other way to communicate with the GNOME based access technology. All I can do is get orca to say, "inaccessible," and then everything slows down to a crawl.

I'd be happy to help figure out what is wrong here as I would really like to be able to say that emacs and emacspeak both work with orca. Emacspeak works great in a text console though and trying to use the "normal" emacs with SpeakUp is doable but hellish if you need to do something like run gdb from within emacs.

So, let's compare notes and either figure out what's wrong on my end or if it is more of a systemic issue, gather information and send it to the emacs maintainers. Rms also told me that getting emacs to use the accessiblity API and gtk would be a large and difficult project.

cdh