accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] A thought about a possible project

From: Daniel James
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] A thought about a possible project
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 12:42:51 +0100

Hi Jason,

> H.264 rules out free software in jurisdictions that allow software patents.

I wouldn't go that far. For commercial encoder and decoder projects,
there's a chilling effect for sure, but we know that all the major video
websites and end users alike use x264 and other relevant Free Software
code, even in countries where software patents are theoretically
enforceable.

The original point is that something is needed now if people with
impairments are going to be able to use Free Software to access the
media available today. Accessing BBC iPlayer on a typical GNU/Linux
desktop distro is a good example of that.

Cheers!

Daniel