adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Image format and custom coloring

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Image format and custom coloring
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:30:59 +0100

On Monday 04 March 2002 14:39, you wrote:

> As you know, we need many different characters. We want some of them to
> be very ressemblant, excepted for some colours that may vary.
> In multiplayer game in particular, we need that two players doesn't have
> the exact same character. Well, you see where I want to come: having
> some parts of a character (or any object) that color can be freely
> chosen.

Seems that topic is settled already :). If it could be done like that, it
would be a cool feature. Perhaps it could be extended to allow multiple
masks. Some for different parts of the clothing, one for hair, one for skin
color. Or was something like that planned already?

> Of course, this couldn't be applied everywhere. Characters faces, for
> example, (those used during dialogs) wouldn't look good if we apply such
> transformations, because they are much more detailled. But as the
> resolution will be much higher in the next release (and therefore
> characters will be more detailled), maybe we can do without.

That's the only point where I'll have to disagree. I think the NPC portraits
where a nice touch, and I rather imagine that they will be a little more
detailed too in v0.4 :). As the colors of NPC's would be set by us, we can
easily match portrait and character gfx.

And in case players need portraits too, they should be allowed to select one
they like, or even import their own. But I assume portraits are mainly for
NPC's.

Kai