Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:15:51 +0100

Von Ricardo Colon <address@hidden>

> Another game that's good at creating a world where NPCs have their own
> life is Shenmue for Dreamcast, which in some cases would be the ideal RPG
> even though it's linear.

[...]

> The best part about Shenmue is that you don't have to necessarily stick to
> the plot. All of the NPCs work on their own schedule. Some NPCs like to
> hangout at the park. Others walk around the shopping. Others stay home.
> It really feels like you're living in a town with normal people that have
> their own things to do.
>
> Your character can also do more than just talking. You can go to the local
> convenience store and buy some soda,potato chips,fried squid..whatever.
> You can also call people to see what's up.

Well, I guess this is quite impressive being great 3D graphics, but it sorta
reminds me on Ultima 7, which had quite a lot of this done back in 1992 ;).
In 2D.

Basically, all NPC's tended to their business during the day. They opened
their shops (or showed up at their work.) In the afternoon, you could often
find them in the taverns, and in the evening in their homes, where they would
sleep during the night.

You yourself could do many things besides the main plot, the most famous
possibly being baking bread :).

Of course it would be more immersive if it's done in 3D and with real voices
instead of simple text.

> I don't necessarily think that this kind of detail would need to be added
> to Adonthell.
>
> I guess the question we'd need to ask ourselves is if we really want
> players to be immersed in the NPCs world, and thus delay the resolution of
> the main plot. In Shenmue, it's encouraged, but I'm not sure if this is
> what we want.

I am for it. To me it is very important that the world we create feels real.
That means NPC's should behave like real people (as much as that is
possible), we should have a day/night cycle and lots of activities for the
player beside the main plot.

Not all of this needs be done for v0.4, but it should be in the final game.