Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: Global game design (Was: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:28:17 +0000

Ricardo Colon wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Kai Sterker wrote:
>
> > > The best part about Shenmue is that you don't have to necessarily stick to
> > > the plot. All of the NPCs work on their own schedule. Some NPCs like to
> > > hangout at the park. Others walk around the shopping. Others stay home.
> > > It really feels like you're living in a town with normal people that have
> > > their own things to do.
> > >
> > > Your character can also do more than just talking. You can go to the local
> > > convenience store and buy some soda,potato chips,fried squid..whatever.
> > > You can also call people to see what's up.
> >

> > Well, I guess this is quite impressive being great 3D graphics, but it sorta
> > reminds me on Ultima 7, which had quite a lot of this done back in 1992 ;).
> > In 2D.
>
> I must be the only person on this list whose played any Dreamcast games.
>
> I don't think I explained everything thoroughly. Having day/night cycles,
> weather and NPCs with their own lives is a very old idea. But what's
> amazing about Shenmue is how it's executed. The environment is set up to
> look like an average town in Japan. You really do feel like you're in a
> movie.
>
> What can't be translated into 2D is Shenmue's environment. Having a 3D
> enviroment feels more authentic since it's closer to real life. The weirdest
> part is that sometimes real life can also feel like Shenmue. 2D sprite-based
> RPGs could never have environment as immersive as Shenmue. The world is
> not flat. When you play a 2D sprite-based RPG you have to accept that fact
> and be willing to suspend disbelief if you want to immersive yourself in
> the environment.
>
> Even people who don't play the game(or even play video games) can immerse
> themselves in the story, which I think is a huge achievment. RPGs are
> difficult to enjoy unless you're playing.
>
> Well really, it's hard to describe this game without playing it. The fact
> the story could happen in real-life and that your environment looks like a
> town that you might visit lends adds a certain kind of credibility that
> doesn't exist in fantasy RPGs. But that doesn't make fantasy RPGs any
> better or worse. Whether or not you want your world to seem believable is
> a design choice. But given that Shenmue is the only game of its find, I
> was very impressed.

I know what you mean and I have read a few very positive reviews of
Shenmue (I & II). The only thing that keeps me from getting a DC is that
it has winCE on it (probably sounds extreme, but I swore to myself once
that M$ would not even get a penny from me!) - if it weren't for that
I'd get it like a shot - they're dirt cheap and Marvel vs. Capcom would
justify the purchase alone! (I know you can get it for the PS1 too but
round where I live I only ever find the DC version :( )
Anyway, back to Adonthell :), I agree a good 3D environment is essential
for a realistic experience, but I don't think that's what we're aiming
for. Adonthell's world is a fantasy one and by doing it in 2D we can
make it feel like you're walking around a picture - I always see it a
bit like wandering through an illstrated fairytail book! :) To me that's
more appropriate considering our intentions.

        -James
--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821