[Adonthell-devel] Can build RPM's

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Can build RPM's
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:42:16 +0100 (CET)

I browsed some docs on the subject of building RPM's, and as it seems,
it's pretty easy after all. All it needs is a .spec file that tells rpm
what to do.

I made one that should allow anyone to build RPM packages by completing
the following steps:

* either get the source package, or do a 'make dist' with the CVS version
* copy the adonthell-0.3.1.tar.gz into /usr/src/packages/SOURCES
* run 'rpm -bb adonthell.spec' in the adonthell directory

That's it. Of course, at present the .spec file is only in CVS, so you'll
have to update your code first, then run autogen.sh to build the
adonthell.spec. Then follow the steps above.

Building RPM's for the data package should work in a similar fashion, but
I had no time to create the spec file for the data yet.

If there are any problems, please tell me. As I never did that before, it
might not work as smooth as it [sh|c]ould.

On the topic of binary packages, there is another problem I've noticed:
the adonthell.py script. I've seen that you byte-compile it before
installation, Alex. However, if you distribute that version with the
binaries, it might not be compatible with the version of python people
have installed. Might be safer to distribute the source of the script
instead.