Re: [Adonthell-devel] Endianness (Adonthell and Solaris)

From: Jayson Baird
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Endianness (Adonthell and Solaris)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:14:02 -0600

Having worked with code on OS X, Solaris, and x86, the only times you run
into endian-ness are with pre-compiled binaries. Essentially if you say:
N = 4;
N >> 1;
N would then be 2, no matter what architecture. Now on some of the SDL
stuff, you have to always check thinks like
If(SDL_BIGENDIAN) for computing things like masks, but I've never heard of
any problems with simple things like that getting all tchocky.

To the graphics engine people: when creating surfaces (using
SDL_CreateRGBSurface) are you checking for endian-ness? Especially where you
set the ARGB masks?

Just a thought...

Jay
address@hidden