Re: [Adonthell-devel] 'Crash' when no sound device available?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] 'Crash' when no sound device available?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:32:37 +0200

On 27 Jun 2002 13:42:14 +0200 Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> Hiho,
>
> I just tried to compile and install adonthell on a PC (Debian 2.2
> potato) without a sound card, with the following results:
>
> address@hidden:/var/tmp/games/adonthell/0.3]$ adonthell wastesedge
> Using 32bpp depth: 320x240.
> Unable to open audio: No available audio device
> Audio will not be used.
> exec_file: init load failed!
> address@hidden:/var/tmp/games/adonthell/0.3]$

Hm. I never tried without a soundcard, but running Adonthell while the
device is occupied by a different task works well.

The last line looks more like a python related problem. Did you do a
'make install' after compiling? Otherwise Adonthell won't find a python
module it needs.

You may try reconfiguring with the --enable-py-debug switch and see if
that gives a clearer error message.

A few people reported problems like this, but we've been unable to track
it down yet. All I can say is that it occurs when loading the init.py
script just after the engine has been initialized. But why loading fails
I don't know.

> Is this due to the lack of a soundcard or is my installation screwed
> up? If its due to the lack of a soundcard, it would be nice to handle
> this error more gracefully by disabling sound support.

See above. Lack of a soundcard isn't a/the problem :). (JT would see
that different, I guess, but at least it does not prevent you from
running the game).