[Adonthell-devel] Re: schedule stuff update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: schedule stuff update
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:22:19 +0200

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:26:49 +0200 Kai Sterker wrote:

> So it seems that we can easily save and restore all the time_events
> that drive the schedule scripts and therefore the exact schedule
> state. And best of all, this would work without any additional code in
> the schedules themselves!

It does work. And it's already done! :)

Please grab the new code and data if you can and report any problems. I
played a little and checked for memory leaks, but found none. Neither
did I experience any segfaults and the like. Loading/saving seems to
work well too.

Regarding the changes I made to the code (and the future schedule
system). All the schedule stuff should definately get seperated
from the mapcharacter class. Either it would be derived from
mapcharacter, or the other way round. That'll make the code much cleaner
than it is now. We also have to rethink some of the method names.
Especially the few new ones I added are a little on the weird side.

As far as the next generation schedule system goes, with its division
into manager and action scripts: maybe that needs to be rethought
somewhat. As the schedules are much, much more performant now (and much
cleaner too), this division might not really be neccessary. OTOH, our
current schedules are very basic, and perhaps some more modularity
wouldn't hurt. So the overall concept might still apply, just the
details need to be adapted.

So what remains now? Bjarn's and Erek's schedules need to be rewritten.
A 'pause' method for character needs to implemented, so they don't run
away during dialogues. As all events that belong to a character are
stored in that character's event_list, the simplest thing might be to do
this pausing on event level. Of course one has to be careful with
time_events, as the gametime progresses while the characters (or their
events) are on hold.

Then the documentation of the event system has to be updated. Not sure
which of those things I'll do first, but I think I'll have a go at the
documentation tomorrow. Best to get it done while my memories of all the
changes are still fresh (yeah, I'm getting old :P).

Anyway, have fun with the new code, and tell me if something doesn't
work as it should!