Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 21:15:22 +0100

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 16:01:21 +0000 cirrus wrote:

> Kai Sterker wrote:
> >
> > The difference between player/NPC and beasts is that latter do not
> > talk, hence they need no dialogue and portrait. They'd still have a
> > schedule though, and I could well imagine the player taking on the
> > role of a beast by means of magic.
>
> Perhaps beasts should have a portrait and name too. Might come in
> useful if we have an 'identify' spell or something to find out what
> kind of beast something is and it's weak poiunts or stats or something
> like that.

Sounds sensible. Won't be a problem though.

> Also one more character attribute might be uniqueness - player chars
> and important NPCs will be unique, whereas most normal NPCs and beasts
> will just be clones that wander around. Beasts might even be
> dynamically spawned by the map (as opposed to explicitly being placed
> there by a map designer) so they'd be more generic if you know what I
> mean.

Exactly. Shouldn't be a problem to make some monster/animal generator.
Take some templates, a bit of randomness, and voila!

> As for NPCs some might be generated from different sets of
> heads/torsos/legs to vary their appearance and I suppose might get a
> random name and dialogue assigned to them (I remember some discussion
> on this at the summer meeting).

Hm ...  I think we can easily create the gfx for not so important NPCs
in that fashion. However, I doubt we can place them randomly. Won't be
good for the overall atmosphere.

> Just thought I'd mention those points incase you need to alter the
> design to accomodate such things!

It's good to keep them in mind. But I think the suggested design can
handle this quite easily :).