Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Characters
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:56:25 +1100

From: "Kai Sterker" <address@hidden>
To: "Programmers playground" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 1:23 AM

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:37:40 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

[snip]

> > Yeah, I guess you're right on that one. I'd like as far as possible to
> > avoid the kind of stuff you can see in many games: your sword just go
> > through the character who doesn't get hurt. This makes nonsense and
> > would not fit very well with the engine design. On the other hand, my
> > proposal was a bit extreme, I agree. And we want the player to be able
> > to play the bad guys if he want so - so killing non-important
> > characters should be allowed IMO (say you kill the inn keeper - then
> > the inn gets closed and you have to find another place to sleep in
> > next time as a penalty, something like that). What to do for important
> > characters remains an open question. As they are not *that* numerous,
> > maybe we could make a different reaction for each of them.
>
> What David says in the other mail is right, I think. If the player's
> allowed to attack any peaceful NPC, it would not be very realistic
> either. Perhaps we could add one or two (hidden) side quests for evil
> characters where they can kill some NPC to gain something he wouldn't
> otherwise offer them. For those few cases we could create a halfway
> decent reaction of the environment. (Other NPCs talking about the
> murder, guards asking questions, maybe even some totally innocent NPC
> getting charged for murder, etc ...)

I was thinking about this, and I had the same sort of idea: I think that
side quests for evil characters is a good way to be able to roleplay being
evil. It could also be possible to make an 'evil' quest exclusive to a
'good' quest.

Also, it would be possible perhaps, to make it possible to attack a
particular obnoxious NPC. Like for instance, the mercenary in Waste's Edge,
but the reaction in each case would have to be carefully scripted and worked
out.

Cheers,

-David.