Re: [Adonthell-devel] PPC/Sparc input problem fixed - & Python dependanc

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] PPC/Sparc input problem fixed - & Python dependancies problem fixed
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:12:38 +0100

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:06:05 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Still 1.2, because switching to 2.0 would mean updating all the
> > lists and multiline edit boxes. And I'm not sure whether that would
> > be worth the trouble. Of course, if GTK 2.0 would make your task
> > easier somehow, then I would make the changes.
>
> Not that it would make my task easier, but soon or later we'll have to
> switch to GTK 2.0, isn't it? Would dlgedit porting be a huge task?

As I said, it would require an update of all list, tree and edit
widgets, as they are somewhat different in GTK 2.0. Using a model-view
architecture, for instance.

The rest should be pretty portable.

I guess during the next year or two, switching to GTK 2.x won't be
really neccessary. But in the long term, there might be no way around
it. So we might as well do it now (or at least soon).

> > Actually, I was thinking whether we should move the tools into a
> > module of their own.
>
> Would be a good idea to make the editors independants of the game
> package. At least I think they should have their own configure
> scripts, instead of this --enable-tools option that is more confusing
> than anything.

Also with regard to packaging it makes sense. We'd have an engine
package, a data package, a tools (or dev) package and a documentation
package. Nice, clean, you name it.

> Why not. But my new stuff is in 0.4 and can't be backported. :) It's
> becoming quite messy there, guess I'll try to sort things once my
> finals are over!

Well, we will have to merge the two branches somehow :/. Not sure what
would be the easiest way to accomplish that. I mean, 0.4 has the right
structure already, but is not entirely up-to-date anymore. Hm, maybe we
should update 0.4 with the changes made to 0.3 and then immediately
merge it back, so it becomes the new main branch.

> Anyway, this module dependancy is another indication that editors
> should be separated from the game. But they still rely on it, and
> unless we make use of a shared-library it can't make it. libadonthell
> anyone? :)

Shared libraries might make sense. Linking a handful of tools against a
20M static library is a slight waste of space ;). And should we ever
divide stuff into client and server, we'd also make some savings. Not
that diskspace it much of a problem nowadays, but still ...