Re: [Adonthell-devel] Handling edge pixels on scanned images.

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Handling edge pixels on scanned images.
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:48:35 +0100

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:39:50 +0300 Sasha Kushnirenko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally managed to interest 2 possible artists to make drawings.
> They draw images on white paper, which is scanned afterwards.  We got
> around"purple noise" problem following instructions from "Adothell
> Graphics Manual"
> http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-artwork/2002-09/msg00014.html
>
> But as images are drawn on white paper and scanned - all images suffer
> the same problem - edge pixels are usually some lightish color (mix of
> white paper background and for example brown hair foreground color) .
> So all images have "whitish border" 1 pixel wide around them.  This
> border is clearly seen when placed on green background.
>
> Is there a simple way to get rid of those pixels.  We use gimp to
> manipulate images.

Hm, depends what you want to happen: if it is okay to remove those
pixels, then you could use the magic wand tool to select the background
(if that has a single color). Then invert the selection and shrink it by
1 pixel.

Now you can copy your object and paste it somewhere without the annyoing
border.

Hope that helps.