Re: [Adonthell-devel] TODOs

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] TODOs
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:17:30 +0100

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:10:42 -0600 (CST), Andrew Michael Phillips
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I wonder if it might be possible or
> plausible to use NG in-game as a werebeast's human form right after
> turning back into a human. Granted, most humans cursed with lycanthropy or
> similar afflictions are quite mad and unlikely to carry much of anything
> larger than jewelry or small weapons with them, but what they do carry is
> dropped when they transform. Thus they are basically naked when they
> revert to human form.

Yeah, but at least they would have more hair, I think. But adding hair
to NG shouldn't be too difficult (for an artist).

> > What kind of format do we need to use for them? PNG?

Would be a good choice IMO. The idea I had is to keep images in their
native format instead of doing what we did before. So an animation or
any mapobject would just have references to the PNGs it is composed
of. This means perhaps a little longer loading time, but with caching
that shouldn't be too bad. And it means that our objects and
animations can be more easily edited.

> > When you say transparency I imaging you mean that pixels have an alpha
> > channel. Is that right?

Dunno. Should they have one? Might be better than what we had in v0.3,
so why not. Lets not restrict ourselves too much.

I imagine it could help us when composing objects, as we could overlay
a base image with stuff more easily. Like adding moss, grass or dirt
to the stones below without the need of keeping extra PNGs. We'd only
have extra mapobjects that are compositions of a couple of images.

> > I've designed it such that I can easily make many variations with
> > different colours / stone textures / mixtures so using one template I
> > can hopefully make many kinds of flooring.

Wow, looks great. And with variations it will be even better!

Anyway, I have some more TODOs to write yet. However, I am not quite
sure when I will be able to add the references to the ML (which are
important as we have many design ideas and additional infos there that
shouldn't be wasted or discussed over and over again). Problem is,
that it is uncertain yet, when I can get net access from home ...
should have been last week, but they seem to be having problems with
producing the hardware for all their new customers, so things are
delayed for now.