[Adonthell-devel] Re: Update on collision work

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Update on collision work
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:30:39 +0100

On Dec 19, 2007 10:17 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> There needs to be some glue that aligns the sprite with the object
> model during rendering. Looking at the examples here
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2007-08/jpg4iqxtf0Ec4.jpg,
> it appears that this alignment cannot be computed by the engine, but
> must be specified explicitly for each individual object model. (Of
> course, an object editor will be able to do that automatically.)

Haven't done that yet (as it shouldn't be required for the simple demo
objects. I have improved synchronization of visual representation and
internal model. I also wrote some code to visualize some collision
data (movement vectors and triangle with which the character
collided). It can be enabled by compiling the world module with
-DDEBUG_COLLISION.

Regardless of that, there are still problems to figure out. So I will
go a step back and simplify the map to straighten things out. I.e.
only have a single tile and make sure we can walk around on that and
fall of the edges as expected. Then add more tiles (of different
height) and check if that works. And so on ...

Another problem seems to be that the values used for collision
detection get fairly small. That's causing the collision response code
to fail, so no graceful bouncing off walls, climbing stairs, etc. . I
am not sure if this can be overcome by scaling everything by a factor
of 100 for example. Have to look how this would affect the algorithm.
Otherwise I'd have to tweak the response code to work better with
these small values.