[Adonthell-devel] Re: Map editor progress

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Map editor progress
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 19:20:59 +0200

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Kai Sterker<address@hidden> wrote:

> A first in years: the mapeditor has been updated to actually place
> something on the map!
>
> [...] there are still some limitations:
>
> * Objects can only be placed at height 0. Setting a different height
> requires some more thoughts, so I haven't attempted it yet.

Objects can now be placed at any height. Use the UP/DOWN keys to
change height of the map (hold Shift for larger increment). What might
be needed is a way to see the object's position at ground level ...
basically a shadow so that it is easier to see where the object will
end up.

> * Only objects already on the map can be picked and placed elsewhere.

Object browser will be the next feature.

> * No safeguards are in place yet, so it's possible to add duplicates
> of unique entities, which will crash the engine on loading.

There's now a fairly basic test against object bounding boxes in
place. If object overlap is detected, the object you're placing turns
red, but for now it's still possible to place it. Since the test is
not 100% accurate, I didn't want to prevent overlapping completely.
Best if the GUI provided a toggle to allow/disallow overlapping so it
can be turned off for the few instances where the test might be wrong.

Kai

P.S: First time I really did some productive work with git, and so far
I like it :-). Very easy to see what's changed, what will be
committed, which files are new, etc ... .