Re: [Adonthell-devel] Better grass

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Better grass
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:29:49 +0200

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Kai Sterker<address@hidden> wrote:

> Non-solid flag is implemented and rendering has been improved, and
> with that we'll be getting something like the attached image.
>
> There's one bit missing: calculating the ground level does not take
> the non-solid flag into account yet, so it's not ready to commit. Also
> needs a little bit of cleanup first.

Code is committed and test map uses the high grass now. This works
fairly well, except where the "stairs" overlap the grass. It'll render
mostly fine, but you'll get the dreaded "deadlock detected" messages
when climbing up there. There's nothing to be done about that, except
to avoid such designs in real maps. It shouldn't be a problem to have
vertical objects in the grass, however, like bushes, trees and the
like.

With that part implemented, the only bit missing yet in the renderer
is support for flat, non-solid objects, like water-surfaces and fog.
Implementing those will be a bit tricky, as it actually involves
splitting these objects around vertical, solid intersecting objects.
But I'm fairly positive that it can be done :-).

Afterwards, I for one would call the renderer feature complete as far
as map objects are concerned. We may have to come back later for stuff
like spell effects and the like, however.

No screenshot this time, as you can finally try and see for yourself.