Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Map editor progress

From: Enrico Kochon
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Map editor progress
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:15:06 +0200

Hi Kai,

keep up the good work. A long time has passed since I sniffed a little
air of adonthell. Since then I lurked on the list, doing nothing else
than passivly reading (and even not all mails - sorry if I missed some
point in this mail). There is obviously progress and I hope its speed
could even be improved.
Thus, here are my 2 cents just as comments concerning the map-editor:
- if the target group of the editor are programmers, there is nothing
wrong with it. However, if you plan to release it to the average
non-programmer, the concept of different entitytypes could be to
complicated. Why do you want such a high customizability?
- there are several applications which provide good samples of tag-based
filtering. Unfortunately, the most of them are webapplications. They are
not so easy to implement in a clientapplication. Keep things simple is
my advice. For instance what about a Widgets containing clickable text
as text and the filtered Objectbrowser? After a click the corresponding
text gets colored and the filtering is applied to the objectlist. Of
course should the tag-categories for all objects be prebuilt if a
built-in object set is used (which I would appreciate).

Best regards,
Enrico