Re: [Adonthell-devel] Pathfinding in 3rd dimension

From: Josh Glover
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Pathfinding in 3rd dimension
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:37:17 +0200

On Monday, July 23, 2012, Kai Sterker wrote:

 We can either have a single program that can run each game (a global
engine executable, like v0.3) or we could allow/require a custom
executable specific to each game.

I like the idea of a global executable, which could simply be wrapped by a game-specific script. For example, the wastesedge executable could be a Python script that uses pkgconfig to find out where the main adonthell executable is installed, then launch it with the requisite flags for Waste's Edge.

For the main program, this leaves the task of initialization (of
course without any hardcoded loading) and a call to a game-specific
Python script that can do game-specific setup and will at one point
have to start the main loop, at which point control remains within the
engine, until the player exits the game.

Ok, this makes sense.

Cheers,
Josh

--