Re: [Adonthell-general] Re: adonthell: GIF files

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Re: adonthell: GIF files
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:48:36 +0100 (CET)

On 28 Feb 2002, Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Anyway, if we want to keep our website hosted on savannah we'll have to
> solve this issue quickly.

Well, first of all I'll remove the gifs from the CVS. (I knew that they
did not want gifs on sites hosted on savannah, but I did not know that
they don't want them in their CVS either). Then I guess I could convert
them to png and readd them to CVS, that way they are there if needed.

I'm not so sure whether all recent browser are fine with png's though.
When I added the illustrations to the library, I made them 24bit png's
with an alpha layer, and the only browser the showed them correct was
Opera. Neither Mozilla nor Konquerer could handle them!

But perhaps 8bit png's with alpha will be fine. I'll do some testing,
then
we'll see. Oh, and another point is the size of png's. Compared to gif's
they are bigger in most cases.