Re: [Adonthell-general] rules miscellany

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] rules miscellany
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:20:58 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:26:52 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> Sounds good! As far as the controlls are concerned  we should try to
> allow for both mouse steernig, as well as keyboard steering and even a
> joypad only variant.

Yeah, that's the goal.

> As far as the layout of the gui is concerned you
> might also talk to ben about it. When we worked on the rules, we also
> designed a rough draft of a character sheet in the book format we
> talked about earlier.

So fire ahead, Ben! :)

> By the way, have you heard of Neverwintern Nigths? It is a commercial
> RPG out now for Windows, but the Linux Version should follow soon.

If it ever comes out for Linux I'll certainly buy it. Right now I'm
engaged in Morrowind. (Windows only, but still very addicting.) However,
its style is so much different from Adonthell that I'm not drawing an
awfull lot of inspiration from it.

Another thought I had in the meantime concerns the fighting feats:

I was wondering what their effect would be, and I think the only
sensible thing is a bonus or penalty to properties like melee/ranged
attack/damage, parry, dodge or armour. I guess the weaker feats would
always raise one on the cost of another. E.g. increase your chance to
hit while decreasing your chance to avert being hit. Or increase the
damage you do in favour for the chance to hit, etc.

Higher rank feats could affect more properties, give higher boni and
less penalty, while the best feats wouldn't have any penalty at all.

This would offer some room for tactical descision in combat. Do you want
to increase the damage you deal, or rather minimize the damage you take?
You can easily switch between more defensive or offensive style of
fighting or any mixture in between if you know the proper feats.

I'm just unsure how Alex' idea of combos would fit in here.

Kai