Re: [Adonthell-general] About the rules

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] About the rules
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:42:21 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:26:00 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

Glad you're back, Alex :). Now I no longer need to talk to myself ;).

> I just had a read at the rules. First, let me say that I am impressed
> at how clear and well redacted they are. They are as pleasant as read
> as the Library section of the web site, which makes me think that
> maybe we should latex2htmlize them and make them available in html
> form on the web site (they are written with LaTeX, aren't they?).

Yep, they're LaTeX. Wouldn't be much of a problem to put them online.

They really are a pleasent reading. With a few nice illustrations they
could easily make it into a future User's Manual.

> Maybe the ranges could be larger. Like, say, the -5/+5 for the
> alignment. Of course, it wouldn't change much about the game itself,
> but would somehow make the game more sensitive (I think about the
> progression of the value - it's much easier to remove one unit to a
> big number than waiting for several bad actions to be done to decrease
> a small one).

As far as alignment goes, I imagine it is only affected by large scale
actions. Like killing innocent people or solving a certain quest in an
excellent way. Being generally good or bad to individuals would only
change how that individual percieves the player, not necessarily the
player's alignment.

D&D alignment ranges between 0 and 20 AFAIK; it's not that much
different.

> It wouldn't hurt neither if we use adjectives instead of
> raw numbers when these values are presented to the player.

I totally agree :).

Kai