[Adonthell-general] Adonthell on the Zaurus!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell on the Zaurus!
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:48:07 +0200

Hey guys!

This to say that I have just managed to get Waste's Edge to work on my
Zaurus. I'll surely show you that at Ben's and take a photo for the
others!

There is one problem however. I can't explain it, but Python
interpretation is *incredibly* slow, making the game unplayable. I have
tried to disable all schedules excepted the player's, and the game is
then very smooth, even when translucency is heavily used, but with all
the schedules on it's simply unplayable. I'm trying to find a solution
with the Python guys, because that thing would be so *geek*! ;) If some
of you have ideas of what it could come from, I'd gladly listen to them.

You have to know that the Zaurus doesn't have any floating-point unit,
making all operations on floats *emulated*. But AFAIK, we don't use
floats (or very rarely), and Python itself doesn't.

For the same reason, there is no music playback for now (sounds work
however), as the only Vorbis libraries available so far are
floating-point based. But recently someone released a free fixed-point
implementation, so I'll try to use it once the Python issue is solved.
At the very least, we could convert the musics back to Mp3s when
releasing. I can't really see Waste's Edge without the music, even on
the Z!

So, it works, but isn't ready for release. Once this Python problem is
solved, we will support yet another platform! :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org