[Adonthell-general] dialog design

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] dialog design
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:16:35 -0500

Mein freunden,

While out on the road today, I tried to spend a fair amount of time
thinking about the dialog writing process - who talks to who, etc. I
was talking into a voice recorder at the time, so I will summarize
here.

I think I made some progress on that front, though I still need to
make some kind of relationship map of the characters, so we will know
which characters are likely to have information or strongly held
opinions about other characters. I think I will try to use the same
software you used to create that node mapping of the plot.

I think it might help to make three such maps - one for each of the
conversation intensive areas of the game map - Waste's Edge and
Uz'dunkal - as well as a third summary map that takes in the other
less populous areas of the game map.

As we design, document, and build the dialog tree, I suggest keeping
track of quests impacted by a given node, as well as other characters.
Some of this might easily be accomplished by adding information to the
plot document.

Something else I thought about was the matter of displaying names over
the npc sprites. Most games seem to just give the names of npcs away.
It's a good clue to players when they are trying to determine which
npcs to talk to - particularly in crowded areas (the Hive in
Planescape: Torment) - but at the same time, they leave open the
question of -how- the player characters know npcs they've never seen
before. Does it seem better to have the player "learn" npcs as he or
she hears about them, or just give that information away?

Andrew